Thursday, December 22, 2016

Latest Sculpture in Progress


My two-part sculpture is progressing slowly, mostly because I scratched my cornea yesterday, making closeup work (well ANYTHING, really) quite painful.

It should heal quickly, but the holidays are upon us, and that will slow me down as well.

But I am almost done with it!


The first part, the Flemish Giant, is all sculpted.

He looks like a bloody mess, since the beige clay turns red for longer bake times.


But you'll never know under all of that paint. :)

I began work on his English Lop pal. The plan was to bake two separate pieces that could interlock.


I've never attempted anything like this before, but was eager to make it work.




I rolled and baked more eyes using the beige clay, since that's all I had, and I have to say I think I may continue to use that color.


They stand out really well against the white clay and make it easier to make them symmetrical. 


For the baking part, I decided to make a foil saddle for the Flemish.



The ears will be the largest feature of the piece, so I'll be baking and sculpting them separately, probably in different stages.

I noticed how uneven the face was after this and fixed it.


And this is where I left off today. So close!


No comments:

Post a Comment